Sunday, June 26, 2011

Today I started this blog thing

This is my first-ever blog attempt!  I figure I'll tell you a little bit about why I'm writing this blog, who I am, etc.  Here goes:

My name is Ashley Sovinski.  I grew up in Sunderland, MA (a very small town) that was traditionally a farming community.  My grandparents were farmers and my parents were railroad workers.  I always had a creative mind, and I believe that's because of my mother.  I remember being a little girl and being fascinated with how well my mother could draw.  Of course it was pandas, but still....

I liked school when I was small, especially art class.  And yes, we still had art in public schools at that time!  I went to a regional high school and then to a public university.  I graduated from UMass - Amherst.  I've had a lot of different jobs in my short life, but that artistic interest was always there.  My first "on the books" job was in a local butcher shop.  Then, at a research firm.  Then, I got into direct elder care and Adult Day Care.  From there I became a case worker for elders who live in the community, which is what I do now.  But that creativity is still looming underneath!

I started out my artistic life with paper crafting, painting, making scrapbooks, etc.  I remember a friend of mine in high school shared my obsession with color - we could go into the art store and stare in awe at all the colored pencils and paints for hours!

Just recently, I thought I would try my hand at jewelry making.  I work with a woman who makes beaded bracelets and watch bands and it was the first time I heard of my now-favorite supplier:  Fire Mountain Gems.  Again, I was struck with that same colored-pencil awe and spent hours gazing through catalogs and even more hours burning my eyes out on their website. 

Of course, my mother was in on it too.  However, she is more into the classic, simple designs.  I'm more loud, gawdy, and sparkly.  She knows when we go to art festivals or craft shows that she will lose me around anything that sparkles and shines!!!

I started making jewelry as gifts for people.  Then I realized that I was making more things than I would ever have friends for!  And that was the start of my Etsy career.....

Check out my shop:  http://www.fringeandflourish.etsy.com/

And give a gander at my favorite supplier:  http://www.firemountaingems.com/ 

No comments:

Post a Comment